Friday, September 22, 2023

Taking Drugs & Losing Friends

 I Don't Drink ...

...and my friends are pretty glad that I don't.  I don't do I do pot, or any other shape or form of recreational drugs. Additionally, I've never been drunk or under the influence of anything other than, perhaps, a lack of sleep.  I'm fairly disinhibited as a rule and to think of my becoming more disinhibited chemically is a scary thought to my friends and to me. (Woman seen running naked throug Bible study group.  Film at 11:00)

Beware the Prescription Pad...


A few weeks ago, I was hospitalized for kidney stones and given "oxy" for pain.  Oh.  My.  Goodness. Gracious.  I wasn't happy or loopy or serene or sleepy.  I was mean.  Just plain ol' mean.  Tis a pity that no one took my phone away from me, cause I managed to offend a whole group of my friends via e-mail.  Mean.  Mean.  Mean.

After it wore off and I looked back at what I'd done, I was horrified.  I apologized, and apologized and I'm still apologizing.  I ask for G-d's forgiveness several times.  I know that he's quick to forgive - I think I was really trying to forgive myself.

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?...

I do believe that there is a bright side to this whole affair.  My mom was a big believer in "looking on the bright side."  (Her cousin, A. P. Carter, wrote Keep on the Sunny Side.  Maybe it's genetic.)   

  My father was a physically, emotionally and sexually abusive alcoholic.  He was sweet, kind and funny until he was drunk - then he was the exact opposite.  

I've always thought that the "drunken" side of him was his real self and the sober was just a cover up.  Now I'm pretty sure that it is just the opposite.  It's a nice thought.  I think I'll believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment